It’s almost Valentine’s Day, and if you’ve found yourself feeling particularly melancholy about all the things you can’t do with your sweetheart this year, you’re not alone.
*Sigh* Still, here we are. Valentine’s Day in a pandemic. As always, the best we can do is to make the best of a challenging situation.
So, if you’ve already written off this year’s V-Day as just another day (possibly involving a frozen pizza), hold it right there! Yes, you could simply plan your Valentine’s Day as a normal day only slightly more special than the rest. Or … you could make it really special (one to remember, even) with a trip Up North to gorgeous White Lake.
What’s there to do while you’re here? We’re so glad you asked!
Below, we’ve outlined the perfect White Lake activities for three different types of Valentine’s Day couples: The Adventurers, The Craft Beer Aficionados, and The Storybook Romantics.
Find what you’ll love and book today!
For the Outdoor Adventure Lovers …
If your idea of romance is a brisk walk first thing in the morning or an afternoon of snowshoeing, then these ideas are for you!
- Spend the day at the Muskegon Luge Adventure Sports Park: The Muskegon Luge Adventure Sports Park is home to all your favorite outdoor winter activities. From ice skating and cross-country skiing, to snowshoeing and sledding, they have everything outdoor adventurers love. Bring your own gear, or rent once you get there. If it’s a sport that’s new to you, treat yourself to lessons with experts. You can even learn to luge on the 850-foot track — designed by an Olympian!
- Snowmobile on the Hart-Montague Trail: Are you and your honey diehard snowmobilers? If so, you’re in luck! Miles upon miles of perfect snowmobile trails abound in the White Lake area, and the best place to start is the Hart-Montague Trail. You can hop on just outside our doors at the Whitehall trailhead!
- Explore frozen landscapes along the lakeshore: Nearby Duck Lake State Park has Lake Michigan beach access and is the ideal place to go for a snowy walk this Valentine’s Day. Dress warm with boots, hats, mittens, and a coat, and prepare to explore the sometimes odd (and always unique) shapes and sculptures made by the sand and ice along the lakeshore.
For the Craft Beer Aficionados …
Love a good stout or pale ale? White Lake is the place to be!
Despite the relatively small sizes of Whitehall and Montague, our area boasts two local breweries — both of which are open and ready for business! Of course, indoor service is still on hold at the moment, but to-go drinks and outdoor seating are the next-best thing!
If you’re into beer and your sweetie is too, try these perfect date night ideas on your Valentine’s Day getaway:
- Grab your own flight of to-go drinks and enjoy a private in-room tasting: Who says beer flights have to happen barside? Take your samplers to go! Both Fetch in downtown Whitehall and North Grove Brewers in Montague offer drinks to-go. Order and pick up yours, then enjoy an in-room treat for just the two of you. Montague Foods (right across the street from our lakeside inn) has the perfect charcuterie, cheese, and fruit and veg combos to complement your drinks.
- Hope for good weather and enjoy a brew on the sidewalk: If you know Michigan weather, you know it’s not always compliant. Still … if you manage to plan just right (and dress warm), you can nab a seat outdoors during one of Fetch or North Grove Brewers’ open outdoor seating slots. Every week, there are different events, and we recommend staying up-to-date with their Facebook pages (Fetch; North Grove Brewers) so you’ll know when outdoor service is available.
For the Storybook Romantics …
Sure, everyone’s a romantic on Valentine’s Day! But here are some specific V-Day ideas for the truly starry-eyed among us — those who are less worried about what they’re doing and more concerned with the fact that they’re spending time together:
- Spend a cozy “staycation” evening in your room: Like most people, already this year you’ve probably had enough “staycations” to last a lifetime. Fortunately, it only takes a luxurious hotel reservation to make “staying in” feel like going out. Wrap up in a cozy blanket, turn on the fireplace, and brew yourselves some hot cocoa. Our plush guest rooms are the perfect place to rest and relax.
- Grab takeout and a movie: In these strange times, you have to get creative! What used to be dinner and a movie out is now takeout and Netflix in (your hotel room)! The good news is nearly all White Lake area restaurants and bars are currently offering takeout and/or delivery. Order from just one establishment, or get a smattering of your favorite dishes from various places. What makes this different than being home is that you’re not going to be distracted by the piles of laundry waiting for you or the dishes in the sink. Just you, your sweetheart, a romantic movie, and a delicious meal (that you didn’t have to make!).
Book now and use promo code winter to receive 25% off your stay! Valid through March 31st, 2021.